Gourock Castle had a relatively short life span. It was built in 1840 and demolished in 1896 a mere 56 years later, but during that time there were 7 owners, none of whom stayed for any great length of time and all of whom had strange stories to tell.

The building occupied the most prominent position in the town and was more of a Victorian folly than a castle proper and the standing stone “Granny Kempock” was only a short distance away.